Electric vehicle grants
The Government is committed to helping increase the amount of ultra-low emission vehicles on the road and has set up grants and incentives for the consumer, which could make it easier for you to buy an electric vehicle or plug-in hybrid.
Grants for purchasing electric vehicles
Because most electric vehicles are brand new, their price can seem higher than comparable petrol or diesel cars at first glance. To help overcome this, the government introduced a special plug in electric car grant to help buyers offset some of the cost of a new electric car.
This grant is available on a range of eligible electric vehicles including cars, vans, motorcycles, mopeds, taxis and even large trucks.
- To be eligible, the new car or van must have emissions of less than 50g/km
- To be eligible, the new car or van must have a zero emissions range greater than 70 miles
- The grant is for up to 35% of the purchase price
- The maximum grant available for a new car is £3500, whilst for a new van it is £8000
- You don’t have to apply for the grant – the dealer will include the value of the grant in the vehicle’s purchase price at the point of purchase
For more details, visit the OLEV website.
Grants for installing charging infrastructure at home
There are additional OLEV grants available to help cover the cost of electric vehicle charging infrastructure. The cheapest, fastest way to charge your EV is at home using a specially designed EV charging unit. This all-weather charging station can be installed inside or out and can charge your EV in a matter of hours. By charging your EV from home you could save significantly on fuel costs.
OLEV provides grant funding of up to 75% towards the cost of installing a domestic charging station in your home. The benefits of this are huge as you’ll be able to charge your EV overnight for a fraction of the cost of filling up a conventional car with petrol or diesel. It is also easy to use, simple to run and safe. The electric vehicle charging scheme grant provides up to £500 towards the installation of a home charging station.
You can find out more about this grant, as well as related information and relevant application forms on the Government’s website.