The Council are urging all schools in Swindon borough to complete and implement an online School Travel Plan through Modeshift STARS Education. A travel plan is a strategic document that sets out how a school will promote sustainable travel. The Modeshift STARS online platform gives schools a simple to follow template for their travel plan.
Modeshift STARS scheme includes the Government endorsed national schools awards scheme that has been established to recognise schools that have demonstrated excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable travel. The scheme encourages schools across the country to join in a major effort to increase levels of sustainable and active travel in order to improve the health and well-being of children and young people. The scheme has three levels of accreditation and is a great scheme through which pupils, teachers, parents and community stakeholders can work together to make the school run healthier and safer for all.
- Healthier pupils – by encouraging active, healthy lifestyles for young people through more walking and cycling.
- Safer pupils – identifying issues and improving the quality of the environment around your school.
- Involving the whole school community – children, parents and teachers working together to make a difference.
- School Travel Plan – automatic generation of a new School Travel Plan which will deliver significant time and costs savings.
- National Accreditation – you will receive the Modeshift STARS plaque, certificate and use of the nationally recognised logo
- The National STARS School Travel Awards – a chance to be considered for the National STARS School Travel Awards.
- Changing behaviour – STARS will provide you with the tools to reduce car use and increase the number of children walking, cycling and using public transport on the journey to and from school.
- Access to discounts, practical support and small pots of funding – additional support is available from the Council to help schools promote sustainable travel to school.
There is no cost for any Swindon school to sign up to Modeshift Stars.
Modeshift STARS offers a nationally recognised system of accreditation. There are five levels (Green, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum). The school receives certificates and plaques when they achieve a new accreditation or reach the next level. Green is the simplest level to achieve and the Council requires new schools to achieve this as a requirement of their planning permission.
There are PDFs below that you can download to read more about the system, and take a look at www.modeshiftstars.org.
Free support is available from the Council’s Travel Plan Officer who can deliver training sessions, offer advice on how to mitigate school travel and transport issues through soft measures (behaviour change) and support schools through the Modeshift STARS accreditation application process.
Please contact Travel Plan Officer, with any queries: email@example.com