Advice for employers
Encouraging your employees to walk, cycle, use public transport and car-share has lasting benefits both for individuals and for the business, these include :
- Solving parking problems
- Reducing recruitment costs and improving staff retention
- Helping improve employee health and well-being
- Reducing business travel and workplace costs
- Taking advantage of tax incentives
- Assisting with delivery of Corporate Social Responsibility and/or environmental policies.
To encourage staff to travel more sustainably to and from work as an employer you may wish to provide incentives such as:
- Discounted public transport fares – bus tickets or rail passes (usually negotiable with local public transport operators such as Swindon’s Bus Company, Stagecoach or Great Western Railway)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Poolbikes and vehicles
- Shower and changing facilities
- Secure bike storage
- Mileage allowance for cycling to work
- Support car sharing by providing preferential ‘car share’ parking spaces
- Flexible and home working policies
- Publishing travel directions and facilities information on your intranet or company website to ensure that visitors and staff are aware of all the travel options.
For advice on any of the above, please contact us.
What else can we offer?
Swindon Borough Council also has a limited supply of cycle stands that can be made available free of charge to local businesses and organisations. We provide advice on location and installation, and the business or organisation is responsible for the installation and limited maintenance of the stands. The scheme is run by our partners Lifecycle UK, where you can find further information about this “Take a Stand” scheme.
To find out how to be a cycle-friendly employer, you can download our cycling leaflet.
Use of the Car Share Scheme
Your employees can sign up to Carshareswindon.com to find drivers or passengers to share lifts with. The website is linked into the national network, so employees don’t have to live or work within the borough to be matched up.