The Council are urging all developers in Swindon borough to complete and implement an online Travel Plan through Modeshift STARS. A travel plan is a strategic document that sets out how a site (whether workplace, new community or other development) will enable and promote sustainable travel. The Modeshift STARS online platform gives travel plan coordinators a simple to follow template for their travel plan.
Modeshift STARS scheme has five levels of accreditation and is a great scheme through which developers, employers, public transport operators and community stakeholders can work together to make the development healthier and safer for all.
- Healthier workers / residents – by encouraging active, healthy lifestyles for everyone through more walking and cycling.
- Safer workers / residents – identifying issues and improving the quality of the environment around the site.
- Involving the whole community – everyone working together to make a difference.
- Travel Plan document – automatic generation of a new Travel Plan document which will deliver significant time and costs savings.
- National Accreditation – you will receive the Modeshift STARS plaque, certificate and use of the nationally recognised logo
- Changing behaviour – STARS will provide you with the tools to reduce car use and increase the number of people walking, cycling and using public transport on their journeys to and from the site.
- Access to discounts, practical support and small pots of funding – additional support is available from the Council to help promote sustainable travel.
There is no cost for any Swindon developers to sign up to Modeshift Stars.
Modeshift STARS offers a nationally recognised system of accreditation. There are five levels (Green, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum). The developer receives certificates and plaques when they achieve a new accreditation or reach the next level. Green is the simplest level to achieve and the Council requires new developments to achieve this as a requirement of their planning permission.
There are PDFs below that you can download to read more about the system, and take a look at www.modeshiftstars.org.
Free support is available from the Council’s Travel Plan Officer who can deliver training sessions, offer advice on how to mitigate travel and transport issues through soft measures (behaviour change) and support developers and consultants through the Modeshift STARS accreditation application process.
Please contact Travel Plan Officer, with any queries: firstname.lastname@example.org